Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Traditions: Come, Lord Jesus, Come!



As we prepare for the birth of the Savior of the world, I thought I would take a little time to share with you one of our favorite, frugal traditions.

Around the 25th of November, the kids and I haul out the leftover wrapping paper from last year's gifts. We then make 25 tags from craft supplies like card stock and stickers. Each tag is numbered from 1-25. We then lovingly wrap 25 books with paper, tag them, and place them in a basket by our tree. Every night before bed, the kids get to open a book and we read it as a family.




This is so special because it is a great time to wind down, cuddle up, and learn together. Some of our most precious discussions have come during this time. We have a great variety of books, but some of our favorites are:

-The Night Before Christmas (read on Dec 24th)
-Thomas Kincade's Away in a Manger
-Jesus, Me, and My Christmas Tree
-Merry Christmas, George (Curious George)
-The Crippled Lamb
-The Snowbelly Family of Chillyville Inn
-The Little Drummer Boy
-...and, on Christmas morning, before we open our stockings we read book #25: The Christmas Story

I hope this tradition inspires you to do something fun to make memories with your little loves this year. It's never too late to start something meaningful.

Oh, and isn't it wonderful that this Savior wants to have a real relationship with me? Not just on my good days, my nice days, my super-mom days, but my EVERY day! We are created to be in love with Him - He is the only one who can fill your heart with peace, your life with joy, your home with unconditional love.

Merry Christmas, Friends! May God bless us, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment