We just finished a weekend garage sale here and we met our goal! I thought I'd take a few minutes to share with you the reasons that I believe our sale was successful.
10. It was organized. I organized each table by category. We had a kitchen area, toy area, clothing area, etc.
9. My items were clean. I took out a tub of clorox wipes and periodically cleaned off dust and grime on items that were for sale.
8. We kept great business hours without getting overwhelmed. We were only open from 9-3 on Friday and 9-noon on Saturday. This was adequate time to sell and gave us plenty of time to rest and rejuvenate.
7. We had a great location. We live on a busy street. We get a LOT of drive-by traffic. If we didn't live here, I would have went somewhere else.
6. We had a FREE box. It was nice to be able to give away some items for free and it helped boost everyone's morale.
5. Multiple families participated. The more families, the more stuff, and the bigger the sale!
4. We had a set 1/2 price time. On Saturday at 10:00, everything that was left went to 1/2 price and boy - did it fly out of my garage!
3. We had great signs. We used bright marker colors, attached balloons, and wrote in large letters. The other great thing was using old candidate signage to staple our signs on, so that they could go in the ground easily.
2. We had refreshments that went to a good cause. Who can resist lemonade from a kid who donates to the food pantry? This stand helped people linger longer and we met some real nice folks :)
1. We always had adequate help. There was a minimum of 2 adults present at all times. We could tag team customers and even help carry items to cars. No one felt ignored.
All in all, this was one of our most successful sales to date. Hope these tips help you when you plan your next garage sale.