Tuesday, December 1, 2009

30-Day Giving Challenge Complete - Or is It?


This month has been both challenging and liberating for me. I have done (at times) more than I thought I was physically and emotionally able. I have done simple, little things that I would have never thought of before.

I have grieved. I have loved. I have taken on new projects. I have given up old things. I have left coupons at the store for the next person to find. I have worked hard for little earthly reward. I have given little love gifts to my spouse (that I'm not sure he even noticed were gifts...) I have celebrated. I have prayed harder and for more than myself and my family. I have talked to my kids about giving. I have tipped more than normal. I have thanked more than normal. I have given. I have received. I have LIVED WELL this November.

I am thankful for this opportunity to intentionally focus on giving. Those of you who know me, know that giving is an essential part of what makes "me." After all, I am the lady who took her kids to work at the food pantry every month when they were 2 and 3! :) What I liked about this month was the opportunity to think outside of the box for new practical ways to give.

I hope you enjoyed the challenge as much as I did. I'd love to hear some of the ways that you gave this month. Feel free to comment below.

One last thing: I found it fitting as my kids and I were hitting Kroger yesterday (Nov 30th), that there was a Salvation Army bell ringer at the store. As I emptied out my change for the kids to give, we saw a soldier in full uniform. I simply said, "Thank you for your service." As my eyes welled up with tears, my son repeated me and added, "and have a Merry Christmas." As we stood there, our eyes locked and that moment was worth it all! I pray that my children remember to be thankful and always praise the One who is the Giver of all good gifts...God with us.

Have a blessed December and as Grant says, "have a Merry Christmas!"

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Luke 6:38 NIV

"Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity."
Luke 6:38 The Message

1 comment:

  1. As someone who found a stack of coupons someone had left behind...that's awesome! I was so excited! What a great thing to do, something I hadn't thought of before, but will definitely do in the future!

    ReplyDelete