Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Good Old Days - Bartering

In early America, settlers bartered with each other and the Native Americans for everything that they needed to survive. It's an old practice that is renewing popularity again. In this economy, its important to save what we can, use what we have, and give openly. Bartering is a great way to do all of these things.

I am currently in a bartering relationship with my dear friend, Kelly. She cleans for me twice a month (doing the things that I can never get done, like my floors and my fridge) and I clip, sort, and organize coupons for her to make her shopping trips better. I also am planning on giving her some freezer meals too, but shhhh, don't tell (anyone who scrapes out my fridge with a butter knife is worth a few meals, don't you think? ;)

I wanted to share some ideas for potential barters with you below:

Do you/Can you:
Cut Hair?
Sew or Mend?
Scrapbook?
Babysit?
Clean?
Run Errands?
Garden?
Paint Walls or a Mural?
Organize?
Throw a Yard Sale?
Give Mani/Pedis?
Iron?
Cut Grass?
Clip Coupons?
Tutor?
Give Music Lessons?
Decorate?

Now, what do you need done? Find someone that can do what you need and BARTER, BABY!

Set a few ground rules: be clear of each others expectations, set a trial period, have a timeline, respect each others space and privacy, etc.

If both parties don't enjoy the barter, stop. There is no written contract here. Just take a break. Find a new person to barter with. You will be surprised how many people want to barter, but are afraid to ask.

As for me, I have the best of both worlds. I don't have to scrub my floors and I get to play with coupons all day Monday! :) Love you, Kelly! Here's to a great bartering future...

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    Nice idea! I'm a member of http://barterquest.com. Join the community and then we can trade. My name is Nele :)

    ReplyDelete