Is anyone thinking about trying freezer cooking? Here is a list of my favorite easy things that can be frozen without a lot of hassle.
A great way to get started is to simply double your recipe when you cook. Ex: If you are making lasagna for dinner, double your recipe and freeze the 2nd for later. This is easy to do on a regular basis and really saves on your drive-thru trips for busy nights.
Top Ten Easy Items That Freeze Well for Beginning Freezer Cookers
10. Pancakes - make the whole box of mix at once and freeze leftovers in individual portions for quick breakfasts.
9. Chunked Chicken Breasts - crockpot, boil, or grill extra chicken and cut it up into quart freezer bags to be used for chicken alfredo, BBQ chicken pizza, chicken helper, or in salads.
8. Lasagna - make 2 instead of 1 and freeze the 2nd for an easy, satisfying dinner later in the month.
7. Cooked Ground Beef - cook extra and freeze in quart freezer bags to get a jumpstart on pasta sauce, tacos, or hamburger helper on a busy night.
6. Chili - make a huge pot and freeze the leftovers for quick lunches or a simple supper.
5. Muffins and Quick Breads - when you bake, make an extra batch or two for the freezer. Simply wrap in foil (breads) or put in freezer bags (muffins) for quick breakfasts on the go or to serve with coffee hour.
4. Tator Tot Casserole - ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, frozen veggies, tots, and cheese make a comforting supper. Make 2 - 1 for dinner and one for the freezer and have NO prep work next time around!
3. Twice Baked Potatoes - think about this, if you can buy it in the freezer case at Kroger, you can make it yourself and freeze it for later. Its healthier and cheaper this way too!
2. Meatloaf - when mixing meatloaf for tonight's dinner, mix a 2nd for later in the month. Put it in a loaf pan and freeze uncooked to save you time, next time.
1. Baked Ziti - my favorite recipe for baked ziti makes a TON. I fill a 9x13 for today's meal and freeze the rest in gallon sized Ziplocs for later. All I have to do is: thaw, dump, and add cheese for an easy family-favorite!
Hope this inspires you to put something away for a rainy day...or a hectic day...or an "I don't feel well" day...or a "company's coming" day...or a "help someone in need by providing a meal" day.
God bless you as you feed your families!