Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August's Meal Plan or Why Should I Meal Plan?

Good evening, friends!

I get a lot of grief about my meal planning habits. First, it is hanging right on my freezer door for the whole world to see with big black sharpie cross-outs and arrows. Second, I am not a weekly planner (most are)...I am an overacheiver, you see...I am a MONTHLY planner. Third, we have an incredible stockpile of food and I like it that way!

You see, I was raised by a single mother and my grandmother. We had nothing, people. We stood in lines at a church to get government peanut butter and cheese (it tastes like Velveeta by the way.) I remember my grandma taking me along so we could get extra cereal... There were many nights when stewed tomatoes and bread were our dinner.

Now, mind you, we also had feasts! Thanksgiving and Easter were always HUGE! My grandma could make a mean pot of spaghetti and meatballs to feed all of us cousins (she put bread balls in the middle to stretch the meat and "make it moist.") She was known in the family for her cole slaw recipe. We liked to eat and I still do!

I kind of have the "Scarlett O'Hara" complex. You know, "As God as my witness, I'll never go hungry again" kind of thing... So, as an adult, I am a planner. A slightly obsessive organizer. A daily checkbook updater. A "honey, let's talk about our budget" kind of girl. I simply can not do one week of meal planning. What if the car breaks down and all out food money goes to repairs?!?!? I need a plan, people!

Thus, the monthly meal plan was born. I choose to plan 20-22 meals per month that can be served for dinner. When I make my plan, I have all of my meats and boxed foods on hand that I list (see my stockpile pictures to follow). I usually have to purchase fresh produce and dairy only. I like it this way - I feel prepared - I feel wise - I feel safe.

So, if there is ever a major storm in Central Ohio, I could feed you all for at least 2 weeks! :)

I choose to not plan an entire 30 days. This gives our family flexibility to have dinner with friends, family, order a pizza, attend a church function or simply throw something together on a whim. 20 days has proven over time to be nore than enough for our family.

I also only plan dinners. We eat simple breakfasts, lunches are sandwiches, mac and cheese, or leftovers. Dinner is the only thing I focus on because for me, it is the hardest.

I like having a list on the fridge. In the morning (or the night before) I can look at the list and decide what sounds good. Then, I don't have a lot of excuses. I know what to make. I have the ingredients. I have the side dishes. I just have to make it and serve it with love :)

Here is our actual August Meal Plan. We have already eaten almost half of this stuff. It's been a good month of eating here at the Labutises!


My August Meal Plan
1. Burgers on the Grill, Baked Beans, Chips
2. Grilled Italian Chicken, Rice, Grilled Garden Vegies
3. Hamburger Helper and Frozen Corn
4. Smoked Sausage, Red Potatoes, Fresh Green Beans in Crockpot
5. Sloppy Joes, Corn on Cob, Chips
6. Grilled BBQ Pork Chops, Cheddar/Broc Rice, Fresh Garden Veggies
7. Fish Sticks, Fries, Campfire with Smores
8. Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy + Scrambled Eggs
9. Deli Wraps, Fresh Veggies, and Applesauce
10. Mini Pizzas on English Muffins
11. Pork Roast, Red Potatoes, Carrots
12. Pancakes and Peppered Bacon
13. Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, Caesar Salad
14. Clean out Fridge Night!
15. Shish-Ka-Bobs, Pasta Salad
16. Cresent Roll Hot Dogs, Mac and Cheese, Canned Fruit
17. Chef Salads and Homemade Bread
18. Steaks on Grill, Potatoes on Grill with Onion, Fresh Squash and Peppers
19. Hot Dogs on Grill, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw
20. Taco Salad Bar with Fritos

No comments:

Post a Comment